Monday, January 4, 2010

i'm baaaaaaaaaaaack!

Hopefully you have not given up on me. Pretty, pretty please come back. It will be fun, I promise. Its just that December was its usual mix of craziness and I simply had no time. Actually, I feel like while I was hanging out with November, December slipped a little something in my DDP and I woke up next to January, used and abused. However, I am going to put that behind me. I am ready for 2010 and I am coming out swinging.

I have a plan. I love my plan. When I try to make other people love my plan, they tell me I am crazy. Thats how I know it is a good plan. This plan was born while I watched Julie and Julia (guuuureat movie btw). I decided my blog had ADD and while I enjoy writing it, it is in desperate need of some focus. Enter "The Challenge." 6 books--6 different areas--12 weeks of self-improvement. Each day, I will update the weekly improvements in that area. Oh, and day 7, I rest.

So the Goals:
1. Improve Myself Physically
The Book: Body For Life
I have started reading this one. Actually this is the reason behind the 12-weeks as that is how long the challenge in this book lasts. It is a nutrition and exercise guide....basically a total boot camp that you follow for 6 days a week. Plus it comes with pictures. Oh, and I have a real-life picture too....its the program my brother followed that now results in those people who have not seen him since high school literally having to pick their jaw up off the floor. Here's to breaking jaws.

2. Improve Myself Mentally
The Book: Happiness: A Guide to Developing Life's Most Important Skill

A Buddhist monk should be a great teacher, right? I am not entirely sure what this book entails....i mean besides the key to happiness.

3. Improve My Finances
The Book: Miserly Moms

I was deciding between this book and Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover. I decided to go with the book geared specifically towards Moms. That and I think you actually have to have a little money in the first place in order to go with Mr. Ramsey.

4. Become a Better Parent
The book: Raising Confident Girls
Justin and I are going to read this one together. I realize I cannot become the parent I would love to be in 12-weeks. I have a feeling that is going to be a lifelong struggle. However, I am hoping that this will provide some insight for both Justin and I....and that we can use this as a guidepost for raising confident, self-assured young women who can communicate with their parents freely and effectively.

5. Become a Better Wife
The Book: The Five Love Languages
I have heard a lot about this book and am excited to read it. Actually Justin and I are also going to read this one together. We had previously read Men are like Waffles--Women are like Spaghetti and I still use that as a way of understanding why my husband does what he does or may think the way he thinks.

And finally
6. Have more fun
The Book: The Bread Bible

Okay, so maybe learning to bake bread is a totally lame kind of fun. I admit that. However, there are several things I have thought I would like to learn to do, but always find an excuse not to. I am going to take the first 4 weeks of the challenge to use this book. For the second 4 weeks, I will pick another fun thing I have been wanting to learn (perhaps knitting or sewing...does that make me old?!?) and the last 4 weeks for something else (like learning to use photoshop or furniture staining) It shall be interesting to see how bread making works with goal #1....hmmmm....


I really hate New Year's Resolutions. I feel like no one sticks to them. So, I am going to call this a quest for self improvement.....that just happens to be at the beginning of the year. Here goes nothing!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you are back! And so excited for the new project! Learning to bake bread, sew, and stain furniture are all on my to-do list too, so if you're old, I'm right there with you!

    ReplyDelete