Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The greatest gift is a portion of thyself...

Growing up, my parents always instilled the spirit of giving. One small example that has always stuck with me--In grade school, we could earn popcorn parties in PE. They provided the popcorn, but you had to bring your own soda and/or candy bar. On those days, my mom would send me to school with a pack of soda and extra candy bars for those who could not afford to bring their own (....or maybe just forgot). In large ways and small ways, giving back has always been a priority in my life and something I want to instill in my children as well.

One of the aspects of Wash U that I love is the opportunities for public service. When the opportunity arrises, I always try to bring Rileigh along to help....you know, any opportunity to start the spark that lights the fire. In fact, just a few weeks ago, she and Addison helped my round up cans during our school's canned food drive.

So you can only imagine how my heart swelled with pride when Rileigh came to me with the idea to donate her hair to Lock of Love. We have been measuring her hair for a while and she finally had the required 10 inches (and then some) to give. I found a place in St Louis and made the appointment.....an added bonus--the salon offers complimentary cuts for Locks of Love donations.
Waiting for them to call her back....Getting one last photo of her long locks!


Surprisingly, she said she wasn't even nervous....I think I was more so!

Some one is going to get a lot of hair out of that ponytail....
There it is! I told her it probably felt like 10lbs was taken off her head!

She was so excited....She sat with a smile the entire process and couldn't wait to show off her new 'do.
I was so incredibly proud of her, especially knowing how she feels about her hair. She ADORES having long hair. Last time I took her in, just for a trim, she cried. No tears this time. Although she did warn me "Mom, if I do cry, its not because I am sad, it will be tears of happiness."

Giving is great...Pass it on....

2 comments:

  1. I heart Rileigh. Such a sweet, thoughtful girl you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my girl! You've raised her well Sarah!

    ReplyDelete